• -- What's on Your Mind? | CLICK HERE TO JOIN A RANDOM DISCUSSION --

Atheism and the Search for God During the Pandemic

• Administrators

The "knowledgeable" ones are fierce. The "lukewarm" ones are the ones who don't really have a grasp of their beliefs, they are the ones who will want to excuse themselves from an intellectual conversation. That's why it's difficult to have a friendly debate because of lack of participants.

The atheists and the agnostics are the chill ones coz they really don't have nothing to prove. It's like going down a mountain.

But the faithful ones are the ones climbing mountains, pushing a boulder upwards. And, the more pain the pandemic brings, the bigger the boulder becomes. This challenge and hardship of maintaining the faith sometimes becomes the drama, becomes the cry of Balintawak, becomes the Mendiola of the faithful, becomes the life definition of some people. They fall in love with the notion of being a devout believer. Neglecting the logic of it all.

What kind of God kills first borns? (Old testament)

What kind of God allows a Pandemic? (current time)

• Administrators

God (Christian) loves us so much that he has given us freedom of choice, freedom to do what we want. We have brought the pandemic onto ourselves and our fellow human beings. The Pandemic is not the work of God. It is the result of the freedom God has given us.

If I gave you a school ruler and asked you to measure your table it would be an easy task, but if I asked you to measure your house using a school ruler it would be very difficult. But if I gave you a carpenters tape measure you can easily measure your house. With the same tape measure I will ask you to measure Malacanang Palace, that would again be a difficult task. But if I gave you a laser measuring tool measuring the palace would be easy. I now ask you to measure the land area of the Philippines using a laser measuring tool - difficult. But when you use Google Earth it becomes easy... and so on and so forth... my point is, when you measure something you have to use the correct tool.

Let us now measure God. Let us now understand God's plan. What do we use? Do we use our brain as a tool? We can't even figure out how to travel at the speed of light, we haven't decoded the human genome, we haven't calculated the mass of the universe... etc. How do we comprehend God?

We are like ants, we can only see one foot away. We cannot see there's cake inside the ref. We are like birds in Manila, we can't see what's in Davao. We are like pigs in the slaughterhouse, we cannot see what's in store for us in the next few months. We are like chicken in the hen house... we have very limited vision. We cannot see. We cannot understand. We cannot comprehend God.

The analogy above is my original concept. To further illustrate this concept allow me to bring in the concept of time and numbers. The human lifespan is around 80 years. How do we comprehend a being who is infinite? I'm sure everyone watched Marvel movies, infinite timelines, infinite universes... and yet we are here, crying because of covid.

God is infinite. If we all die right now. It is probably his plan. We will never understand his point of view because of our limits. Brain limit. Lifespan limit. Dimentional limit.

How do you explain color to a blind person?

• Members
3 hours ago, Do Better said:

God (Christian) loves us so much that he has given us freedom of choice, freedom to do what we want. We have brought the pandemic onto ourselves and our fellow human beings. The Pandemic is not the work of God. It is the result of the freedom God has given us.

If I gave you a school ruler and asked you to measure your table it would be an easy task, but if I asked you to measure your house using a school ruler it would be very difficult. But if I gave you a carpenters tape measure you can easily measure your house. With the same tape measure I will ask you to measure Malacanang Palace, that would again be a difficult task. But if I gave you a laser measuring tool measuring the palace would be easy. I now ask you to measure the land area of the Philippines using a laser measuring tool - difficult. But when you use Google Earth it becomes easy... and so on and so forth... my point is, when you measure something you have to use the correct tool.

Let us now measure God. Let us now understand God's plan. What do we use? Do we use our brain as a tool? We can't even figure out how to travel at the speed of light, we haven't decoded the human genome, we haven't calculated the mass of the universe... etc. How do we comprehend God?

We are like ants, we can only see one foot away. We cannot see there's cake inside the ref. We are like birds in Manila, we can't see what's in Davao. We are like pigs in the slaughterhouse, we cannot see what's in store for us in the next few months. We are like chicken in the hen house... we have very limited vision. We cannot see. We cannot understand. We cannot comprehend God.

The analogy above is my original concept. To further illustrate this concept allow me to bring in the concept of time and numbers. The human lifespan is around 80 years. How do we comprehend a being who is infinite? I'm sure everyone watched Marvel movies, infinite timelines, infinite universes... and yet we are here, crying because of covid.

God is infinite. If we all die right now. It is probably his plan. We will never understand his point of view because of our limits. Brain limit. Lifespan limit. Dimentional limit.

How do you explain color to a blind person?

They say you can explain a color to a blind person based on feeling the color gives you.

But as quoted by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Our five senses even interfere with sensible answers to stupid metaphysical questions like, “If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?” My best answer is, “How do you know it fell?” But that just gets people angry. So I offer a senseless analogy, “Q: If you can’t smell the carbon monoxide, then how do you know it’s there? A: You drop dead.” In modern times, if the sole measure of what’s out there flows from your five senses then a precarious life awaits you.
Neil deGrasse Tyson

So our primitive senses will not be enough to comprehend if lets say "God" appears in front of us, If there is indeed one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't believe in religion. It's intitutions made by men, and most of the time, what is written - written - doesn't make sense. If people find God in their respective religions, then by all means. 

I'm not religious but I'm spiritual. 

• 9 months later...