• -- What's on Your Mind? | CLICK HERE TO JOIN A RANDOM DISCUSSION --

One-pedal Driving - Stopping Without Using Brakes

• Members

One-pedal driving refers to a feature in some electric cars that brakes the vehicle once the driver lifts his foot from the accelerator. This feature was unintentional but is now loved by electric car drivers! The idea is came about when regenerative braking was developed in 2014 by BMW. 

• Like 1

• Engr. Science changed the title to One-pedal Driving - Stopping Without Using Brakes
  • Members

Many electric vehicles allow for "one-pedal driving," enabled by an electric car’s regenerative braking system. When a driver lifts off the accelerator, the regenerative system temporarily converts the electric motor that powers the car into a generator, which then converts the kinetic energy of the car's forward momentum back into electricity and feeds it into the battery pack. This is experienced from behind the wheel as the car decelerating as if the driver had dropped it into a lower gear or braked moderately.

• Like 1

• Members

1276775496_ScreenShot2021-06-27at10_16_07PM.png.4708b59ad7179a4aaf8f77cb08baaa46.png

Carmakers have differing philosophies about how aggressively this regenerative function slows the car when the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal—as long ago as 2014 we noted that the BMW i3 was set up with such a strong regenerative system that it could bring the car all the way to a stop without the driver ever needing to touch the brake pedal. This feels strange at first but proves particularly useful in heavy traffic, and most people who've driven cars that allow one-pedal driving come to love it.

Edited by Engr. Science
  • Like 1

• Members

740419582_ChevyBolt2021frontinterior.png.ade036010327335fddc88d863fe12677.png

Drivers have their own preferences, though, so some automakers make this function adjustable. A Chevrolet Bolt EV, for instance, can be braked nearly to a stop without touching its brake pedal by pulling a steering-wheel paddle, while the Volkswagen e-Golf slows more promptly if the shifter is engaged in a position marked B. On some other cars—including the Tesla Model 3 and the Jaguar i-Pace—adjustments are offered via the vehicle's touchscreen infotainment menu.

Edited by Engr. Science
  • Like 1

• Members

Often, though, one-pedal driving becomes two-pedal driving as you slow to near walking speeds and need to stop completely. That’s because motor voltage decreases with motor rpm to the point that the regenerative electric output can't be stepped up above the battery's voltage. With nowhere to stash the low-voltage electricity, most EVs cancel regenerative braking and simply coast for the final few mph unless the driver engages the friction brakes by using the pedal.

• Like 1

• Members

1189554008_NissanLeaf2021Back_webp.ab8e722a5762e7a510b69375845ad1c5

The latest Nissan Leaf changes that with a standard e-Pedal feature. With e-Pedal active and the driver's foot removed from both pedals, regenerative braking slows the Leaf at 0.20 g—which our bodies experience as gentle deceleration. As the vehicle approaches a crawling pace and the motor's ability to slow the car fades, the Leaf's friction brakes automatically blend in to maintain the same rate of deceleration (if you need to stop more quickly, stomp the pedal). Once the car has stopped, e-Pedal will hold the Leaf in place on grades as steep as 30 percent, all without the driver ever touching the brake pedal.

Edited by Engr. Science
  • Like 1

• Members

Very interesting idea kaya lang it might take some getting used to. Tinatamad ako mag-Google so itatanong ko na lang... may research na ba kung mas cost-effective ang electric cars. Mas tipid ba sila sa gas or diesel cars?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/28/2021 at 1:46 AM, Kyodai said:

Very interesting idea kaya lang it might take some getting used to. Tinatamad ako mag-Google so itatanong ko na lang... may research na ba kung mas cost-effective ang electric cars. Mas tipid ba sila sa gas or diesel cars?

the current electric car (pun) marketing these days: save the planet. nowhere have I ever read that it's more cheaper. I could be wrong. 😃

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, Highway said:

the current electric car (pun) marketing these days: save the planet. nowhere have I ever read that it's more cheaper. I could be wrong. 😃

Yun nga eh. Feeling ko mas mahal sya. Feeling ko lang naman. I could be wrong. 

• 11 months later...