• -- What's on Your Mind? | CLICK HERE TO JOIN A RANDOM DISCUSSION --

Why is There so Much Hate Against UP?

• Members

Internet trolls hate UP. Why? Is it just because they need a target of their hates? Is it social polarity? Did they not pass the UPCAT? Do these trolls even pay taxes which they claim are used to pay for tuitions? UP has produced a lot of good citizens that are the backbone of this country.

The latest issue is the UP-DND Accord. Where are the big names  who are products of UP? Cayetano? Pangilinan? Villar? Aquino? Gordon? Bondoc? (list cut short for brevity) What can they do about this?

Help?

• Like 4

• Do Better changed the title to Why is There so Much Hate Against UP?
  • Members

I don't think anyone hates UP, the institution ... more likely, they just hate some UP personalities for varied reasons (mayabang, egotistic, feeling superior, presumptuous, etc.), in other words personality-based, either bred by the institution or their peers. It is hardly social polarity because UP prides itself with having students and alumni covering the entire economic spectrum. Neither is it because they did not pass the UPCAT nor because of non-payment of taxes as these are presumptively arrogant issues that have nothing to do with their hate.

Whether good or bad, UP is unique, a sui generis, you either hate it or you love it ..... parang si Jaworski lang! 🙂 

• Like 3

• Members
On 1/23/2021 at 11:55 PM, templar said:

I don't think anyone hates UP, the institution ... more likely, they just hate some UP personalities for varied reasons (mayabang, egotistic, feeling superior, presumptuous, etc.), in other words personality-based, either bred by the institution or their peers. It is hardly social polarity because UP prides itself with having students and alumni covering the entire economic spectrum. Neither is it because they did not pass the UPCAT nor because of non-payment of taxes as these are presumptively arrogant issues that have nothing to do with their hate.

Whether good or bad, UP is unique, a sui generis, you either hate it or you love it ..... parang si Jaworski lang! 🙂 

TL;DR: Your Mileage Will Vary, amirite?

• Members

UP as an institution is okay.. But the people are arrogant know it all persons...besides we paid for their tuition so we expect them to be inside the classroom not on thw streets... Not mentioning the questionable admissions of the children of the rich and famous while the deserving middle income and low income class are not admitted

• Members

I’m not telling DND how to do their jobs but, shouldn’t they be focusing on enforcing our rights in the Philippine Sea? It’s their mandate to protect the country from outside threats and inside threats. But this is just weird. Fighting UP students and teachers? On Social media? Like an old person? 

Saving the students from being recruited? The University develops great minds into greater minds, not mediocre minds into less mediocre. If a student got recruited by the rebels... by all means deal with them your way. Those easily manipulated students were destined to be printed as casualties in the newspapers anyways.

Anong klaseng matalino ang galing sa hirap at pupunta pa din sa bundok para maghirap? Sinisira lang ng mga yan ang reputation ng UP.

Ako galing sa mahirap, papunta sa parlor para magpaganda... to manipulate men, so that they may burn bright!

Please click the heart —>

Edited by The Internet Superstar
  • Like 4

• Members

I wonder why the admissions are questionable? Didn't they pass the UPCAT?

What makes middle class or low income more deserving of a spot in UP?  Everybody is treated equally. Their minds evaluated regardless of social status and financial standing. 

So if someone rich passed the UPCAT,  then he/she deserves to be an isko/iska. If someone from the middle class or low income sector passed UPCAT, then they are also deserving. 

No bias. No prejudice. Just a community of young minds. 

I came from a middle class family and mingled with those from the rich ones. Our professors graded us based on performance and not by how much our families are worth. 

Also, yes the Filipino people paid for our tuition.. not the government as they seem to always forget. And like other universities, the youths are enriching their minds not only academically but socially and politically.

The youth, not just those from UP, are voicing out injustices. They fight for freedom. Freedom from oppression. Freedom from corruption. They ask for good governance.  Again, not just UP youth.

Lastly, out of hundreds of thousands of students, how many ended up an NPA?  This isn't about protecting the youth. This is now about silencing critics.

• Like 2

• Members
12 hours ago, care7441 said:

UP as an institution is okay.. But the people are arrogant know it all persons...besides we paid for their tuition so we expect them to be inside the classroom not on thw streets... Not mentioning the questionable admissions of the children of the rich and famous while the deserving middle income and low income class are not admitted

The Richie Rich kind payed their way just to be there and that is a sad thing...UP for the rich and are for prestige and recognition of sort,not to mention those who came from a political family back ground who adds up to their resume for future campaign sortie, the ''When I was in UP'' speech to put it in perspective;while for the poor who are the real ''skolar ng bayan'' are to secure a better future helping the country along the way. As the song goes ''Padami na ng padami de-kotseng studyante sa State University'' is real!...do I blame those rich clans flocking to UP...NO, because the money those rich student pays in tuition fee helps UP's operations and augmenting the budget given by the government.

• Members

Incompetence. In this age of information, publishing wrong information online is equivalent to throwing a grenade to a wrong place. I flip math test papers upside down and let my kids solve it. I tell them if you can't solve it upside down then you won't be able to solve it in a spaceship on the way to Mars. Can you see how far away the people in charge of posting the information is compared to my kids? There is just no words to describe the level of incompetence of these kind of people. I will stop now, my face has turned red from face palming myself.

We sincerely apologize for those who were inadvertently affected by inconsistencies regarding the List of Students who joined the NPA (Died or Captured) that was posted in the AFP Information Exchange Facebook account. That article has since been immediately taken down or deleted from our social media accounts.

The Office of the J7, AFP is already conducting an internal investigation as to how the list got published. Personnel who are responsible will be held to account.

We want to assure the public that we are now reviewing our processes and procedures to ensure that similar incident will not happen again in the future.

The Office of J7, AFP remains committed to providing and disseminating information on social media platforms that will contribute to a better Philippines for all.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe the ‘hate’ they have for UP is because of misinfomation and bias. Because they are outsiders and didn’t get to experience UP, they think that all UP students do is attend rallies all day.

Maybe some of the hate may also stem from envy. It is because UP enourages its students to have more freedom of expression than the traditional schools they went to.

• Winner! 1