• -- What's on Your Mind? | CLICK HERE TO JOIN A RANDOM DISCUSSION --

Ages 40 to 49 - Were You Prepared When You Reached 40?

Kharnall

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ahh, 40s. That age when if you don't have any mysterious ailments or pains yet, one will be assigned to you shortly.

Middle of nowhere, started early but can't seem to progress. But its ok, I can still climb the stairs without having to stop on every step. 🤪

• Like 2

• Administrators

Read this from the internet. Cut and paste.

Western media has largely fueled the notion that being young is everything. In many respects that may be true, but not in every respect.

Reaching 40 is a significant milestone, and in some cases a dreaded one. Nobody relishes getting older, yet, if you’re lucky it is assured. You are considered a member of the “middle aged” group and this comes as a shock because “they” were always that other group. You become profoundly aware of your mortality. You take stock of your life and often you’re disappointed; you expected to have achieved more or you’ve realised that the “rules of the game” were stacked against you. You may give up on your dreams and have to accept that your life trajectory is starting to look very mediocre. You may even go through a protracted period of reflection, maybe even depression, whilst you to try to find meaning, and it may take you awhile to accept it. It’s bizarre, really, because all that changed was that one number.

But, you start to insulate yourself from society’s notion, and you start to recover your sense of self-worth based on your strengths. You realise that you have life experience, perhaps a good marriage, children, your health, a good standard of living, a good career and maybe some money. You may become thankful for what you do have, and you start to move forward more maturely. And then, bang, 50 arrives. WTF?

However, life is not over at 40. Of course not; you’re still breathing. You’ll go through a period of adjustment and you move on. Yes, for the first time, you will experience comments about your age. You will also have youngsters ignore or avoid you, but you quickly realise that you don’t need or want their approval. There may be new aches and pains, but, for the most part, life goes on as before. Hell, I even took up skiing at 47, and at 52 I’m now a strong all-terrain skier. Try not let the number get in the way and embrace life; it is there to be lived.

• Like 3

• Members

The best advice is don't settle.

Don't settle down unless you've got enough to keep aside without your significant person knowing it.

I was referring towards money.

We were 'indoctrinated' in believing that we HAVE to share everything to our partner, everything we have, every iota we have in our body even! but you really have to protect yourself when your marriage is going to fall apart in probably....for the next 10 years or so. 

If you've been married for 2 decades - Good for you! You still have to put something away for yourself!

What about a future investment? a future business deal perhaps? Buying that car you've been lusting about for 10 years now? 

A spouse is a spouse. Society dictates to you - be a good father, pay your kid's tuition in private schools, provide a good home and vacations or probably buy your wife something fancy- those F shoes she wanted or that F Marc Jacobs.  

Anyway, my point is that save money. Save enough to build on, SAVE IT in another account even!

Do not give everything to your spouse. 

I think i've made my point. LOL.

And lastly, Don't just settle with a person who would make you feel bad all the time. Mental Illness is real! and you have one life - don't put up with anybody who is bad for you and your career!. 

There you go! 

• Like 1

• Do Better changed the title to Ages 40 to 49 - Were You Prepared When You Reached 40?